Hackers and "Bots" with GM-Powers

• 1 PM in the night and the PVP-Hackers (rifters) come out with the ping-hack they make you disconnect from the game and then kill you for AP.

"Bots" with multiclient-scripts, invisibility hack and teleport anywhere hack have GM-powers - does NCSOFT/Gameforge give the accounts of gold-farmers admin-rights?

State of the game: <X:thumbdown:

• What happened with all that talk on streams pre-launch all confident and reassuring that GF would not tolerate bots? EU is just the same as NA in the end, bot-infested everywhere, they even teleport around.

Do your job as the publisher servicing the game and get rid of this plague, hire at least someone to go around and ban them, that's why we are paying for the -service-.

[...]

Edit Olly : Do not report on the forums, use the support insteed.

• Look at the amount of bots everywhere, in all zones 24/7 and gold spam all day, it's even worse than NA now. How is this permissible? why are there no GMs? this is ridiculous.

Sparx

EBXCxBS.png

QW21RID.png

vTCQbPu.png

• Just use the ingame report function and help gameforge getting the bots banned. Also try to motivate your friends to do the same, the more player reporting bots, the more likely they´ll get banned

• in-game report doesn't work, they disabled it years ago, cause there was to many reports, and they just don't care, nothing will change

• in-game report doesn't work, they disabled it years ago, cause there was to many reports, and they just don't care, nothing will change

too bad it was re-enabled 1 week before Patch 2.0

It works, not in all areas, but it works!

• It's not our job to police the servers, and how do you suggest we use the report on the hundreds of bots that pack together everywhere? you can't even target them separately, let alone remember the names you've reported.

dUdw7J4.png

too bad it was re-enabled 1 week before Patch 2.0

It works, not in all areas, but it works!

It does not help that they "re-enabled" it when still nothing happens.

I have literally reported some teleporting farmbots several dozen times within about 3 weeks time. EVERY SINGLE DAY when i came across them in front of beluslan fortress with SEVERAL alt characters on my account I passed them and pressed the report button. It's 5 bots teleporting from mob to mob all day long every day and together I must have sent HUNDREDS of reports on them. I still saw them this morning although they have now passed on to the Kidorun's Campsite area.

So spare people the "But it works now" message, as still nothing happens.

• Thank you everyone for participating in the bot hunt :)

We're all working against the bots, implementing more and more ways to fight them. We already made a lot of progress and we will keep on banning as many as we can :)

Until we find the 'perfect' solution, please keep using the report function as it also helps us gather more data on how to easily detect them!

We know it's an annoying situation and we're doing our best to resolve it!

• Have you heard of ChatGPT? Does Aion do server logs? I can come up with a dozen prompts to let ChatGPT search through server logs and weed out the bots. Apart from their VERY obvious movement that any employee could determine as being botted withing SECONDS (not investigation needed, it is absolutely 100% obvious and not a single legit player ever moves like they do) the bots are SCRIPTED. All the bots doing the same script will have a certain fingerprint like the waypoints they use, the quests they do, the order in which they do these quests. We are in 2023 and we have AI. With a little practice, feeding ChatGPT with a dozen confirmed bots and asking it to find all characters that match specific criteria these bots have would for sure spit out a VERY specific list of characters that are screaming for investigation.

But no, the users need to press buttons that a) are limited to a ridiculously low number as if there were only 10 bots on the server b) don't work in town c) don't work in the abyss d) don't work because often you cannot target most of them as they are all standing on top of each other e) don't work because they teleported away into the sunset bef0re you could even press the button if you managed to target them.

Great.

• Idk if he heard of ChatGPT, but I'm quite confident you didn't heard about GDPR x)

And I am very confident that you have no idea what you are talking about as movement or quest data of characters in a video game definitely are nothing GDPR would apply to. Jesus. Next you want to tell us the "inspect details" function where you can see other character's equipment is also against GDPR.....

• And I am very confident that you have no idea what you are talking about as movement or quest data of characters in a video game definitely are nothing GDPR would apply to. Jesus. Next you want to tell us the "inspect details" function where you can see other character's equipment is also against GDPR.....

You're absolutely right.

Movement data (On a side note I'm curious how you imagine company storing "movement" data of character in a game), or quest completion data are nothing that could be considered personal data (on it's own, at least).

But one thing you missed is that set of "not-personal-data-on-it's-own" could be used to identify an individual person then GDPR do apply.

You can use name as example. On it's own it can't really be used to identify specific person, but if you bundle it surname, address, birthdate and such, it could.

As such if you add data like IP address, conversations between players, activity time and other information that likely appears in logs it could be used together to identify an individual person and that's where GDPR starts to oblige.

Of course as the definition isn't very "clear" you could assume that there will be no way to identify an individual with such data so it's fine to share it with an outside company (I'm sure some ppl at Samsung thought that too), but do you really think that it's worth for companies to take that risk?

TLDR bad idea.

• Quoted from gdpr-info.eu: "

If the controller has the legal option to oblige the provider to hand over additional information which enable him to identify the user behind the IP address, this is also personal data."

ChatGPT/OpenAI has no legal option to oblige the provider of any user of the game to identify them based on their IP, as this would require them to take legal action for which they have no reason thus it would be denied. Your linked Samsung case is completely irrelevant here as that has nothing to do with personal data or GDPR, they just uploaded some code that they didn't want anywhere outside of their company.

There is no risk and there was nothing I missed.

• I do know GMs are real, they exist. But it seems they only ban if someone is reported by players.

Why not go to popular main quest zones and just delete those 6-chanter parties teleporting around? Is there something i'm missing? Teleporting chanters are normal, nothing suspicious there? Do you really need any form of investigation instead of frakin looking at those frakin chanters porting around?

• I think following a bot and their movement and deleting that bot doesn't require any personal info. Besides, when you register the account you agree to terms and conditions and you also agree to use of personal data. Cancellation of contract with specific person-account owner after breeching TOS, is completely fine and doesn't violate GDPR.

Edit: As said above Samsung case has nothing to do with GDPR specifically and does not prevent GF from removing bots in any way.

Edited once, last by Elysorrow ().

• I must be blind but i don't see so much bots in gelkmaros.. Did they ban them all?

can not say for gelkmaros, but as i leveled a new character this week i may write that the starting zones up to eltnen and theobomos are still full with groups of teleporting chanters.

• Today in chat, so many kinah-sellers as hell. In sanctum left side at Lea sits one and offers his side for kinah-selling.

I reported him....But does it changes any, i dont think so...