bann beacuse of name

• Do you think that being assigned a random name instead of being banned indefinetely is a good alternative ? 27

1. It makes sense to do an automatic name change without the bann (17) 63%
    2. Inappropriately named people deserve to be banned (10) 37%

I suggest that instead of banning people if you deem their name inappropriate you automatically change their name into something randomly generated and then send them a message to turn to support to work out a gameforge worthy or approved character name.

The biggest annoyance is the really slow comminication from support since the ticket system places you on the back of the queue when you reply to their reply and i have been banned beacuse of a character name for 7 days counting since i cannot ''quickly'' check if they deem my new name 'ok'. The support replies once a day and some days not even one reply, even if it is not the weekend.

• Depends and can´t be answered overall. Accounts with names in connection to a racist, fascist or inhumane background should be banned instantly and permanently, names whoch are inappropriate, but don´t harm humans could be just taken out and replaced by random names.

[...]

Edit Olly : Off topic.

Edited once, last by Olly ().

• Depends and can´t be answered overall. Accounts with names in connection to a racist, fascist or inhumane background should be banned instantly and permanently, names whoch are inappropriate, but don´t harm humans could be just taken out and replaced by random names.

[...]

[...]

For me bad words do not exist it is the context and their purpose when used that makes the thing 'evil'. When i have kids i wont let them go around saying cursive words but i do not want to teach them they are bad words what i want to teach them is how they could be understood by others and why and also when it is not appropriate to use some words and why not.

A simple word 'dense' or 'density' for example means in physics how much mass per unit of volume something has. Innocent word. It can be used tho to bellitle someone or purposefully insult them beacuse it can also mean someone is stupid if used in that kind of context. So in my opinion context is everything and bad words do not exist.

• You know the context behind picking this name, thousands (or more like hundreds) of players who see it in game don't.

If you need to provide context to claim the name is not "bad word" then you probably shouldn't be using it in place where you have no way of providing such context, like in the username.

[...]

• I guess i missed you with my point since my point was that bad and good come from context and that there are no ''bad'' words and ''good'' words.

[...]

The point of the thread is a suggestion on managing the inappropriate names and i did just that in the original post (the idea is not mine originally but i liked it). The second post was an answer to clarify some things.

• I am all for a ban. Knowingly or not googling this 2 sec gives u an easy explanation why the name is an issue.

I personally would even go a step further. Make the people pay for the Namechange. Would eventually fix all this "edgy" and very very troublesome nicknames and makes them less of an issue.

Edited once, last by Chintsuzai ().

• Yeah i've read the ToS which states that you are not entitled to a name. About making sure that you dont have a name that warrants a bann tho - It is completely arbitrary what warrants and what doesnt warrant a ban you cant make a foolproof document on every possible case of 'what is an ok name' (please prove me wrong) hence the rule 'you are not entitled to a name' it is only logical.

• I am all for a ban. Knowingly or not googling this 2 sec gives u an easy explanation why your name is an issue.

I personally would even go a step further. Make the people pay for the Namechange. Would eventually fix all this "edgy" and very very troublesome nicknames and makes them less of an issue.

I dare you to write a foolproof document which defines troublesome, edgy and acceptable usernames. Many companies would appreciate you for doing it, but IT MUST COVER EVERY POSSIBLE NAME. No room for questions, every name should be defined by the document.

EDIT:

i mean why not go a step further and make a program which automatically accepts or denies any username. A bonus or a more complete version would also give an explanation on why the name is not 'acceptable'.

• The main problem lies in translation and the multicultural server.

[...]

Also, another question arises... why ban a name like this, and not ban names with sexual connotations? (And not to mention legion names in the top 50 asmo tahabata for example).

A warning like "this name is inappropriate for XX reasons, change it" and generating a random name and providing a rename ticket should be enough.

If the second name is again inappropriate, you can start banning...

This is how all moderation should be applied. First warning. Second soft ban. Third permanent ban. Or at least that's how it's done in other case which are worse than wrong name imo (AP trade, bug abuse..)

• If people are so damn sensitive and get offended from just a nickname they should spend their time somewhere else than in game. Like getting banned for a nickname whether you knew or not what it means is ridiculous. The proper way is to give you a change name ticket and tell you to change it within some time frame.

People online have such trash behavior, trash talk is almost constant on chat but it is just important how much you pay attention to it.

• Simplest solution is usually the best: If a word is considered to be offensive by gameforge to have as a nickname, then that word shouldn't allowed to be registered inside the system in the first place when you assigned a charackter's name.

And since that word doesn't have double letters or any trick to force it to be registered, then this is all gameforge's fault. But when gameforge's actions made any sense in past so they will start making now...

Sadly we live in an era that cansel culture is out of control. You can't have an opinion without someone will be offended. This is how it is.

Legend of the Kaisinel Temple

Edited once, last by Neverfelt ().

• Simplest solution is usually the best: If a word is considered to be offensive by gameforge to have as a nickname, then that word shouldn't allowed to be registered inside the system in the first place when you assigned a charackter's name.

Too easy to trick by adding single letters or using a different way to type. I guess best way is to sort it out manually and in case of thread opener they did a good job obviously.

Too easy to trick by adding single letters or using a different way to type. I guess best way is to sort it out manually and in case of thread opener they did a good job obviously.

You are missing the point here. That word in OP's example it was written correct without altered grammar, therefore was triggered a multi day ban for him, thats all the fuss about.

If a player try to register a controversary word that might (or not) know it's meaning, or thinks is not too serious to trigger a ban, and then a message appear that says "its not allowed to use this word here bla bla, please choose another nickname etc", then this way it protects the players who don't wish to push their luck and fully play by the rules. If someone ignores that warning and altered a word to force it to be registered in the game, then i doupt he will even come complain if he got banned at some point because of that, since he won't have any excuse.

Legend of the Kaisinel Temple