28.10.2020 on Korea

• there are also people who enjoyed 4.x more than 2.x or whatever,

the problem some player who have liked the 2.x often criticizes players who liked the 4.x (also vice versa) and thinks it's because aion was free to play than he die or something like that.

EjjnsJ3U8AAzyv8?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

• The popularity of p------ servers says the opposite tho

There is a real demand for a classic aion.

No. The popularity of p-servers says nothing at all about the demand of the maybe upcoming classic server:

1. People switched for different reasons to p-servers and not only because they didn´t like the actual patch. Some had problems with GF, some switched because their friends did, some liked the "management" of the p-server better and some switched there because of other patch version, but these were only a part of the p-server population

2. Common p-servers have very different patch versions from 1xx to 6xx when you look the top 100 list and people who like a special patch version above 2.7 have no reason to switch to an official classic server with a patch version 1.2 to maximum 2.7

3. Also people who enjoy it on a p-server for other reasons have no reason to switch back to an official classic server

That´s why your quoted popularity of p-servers says nothing about the popularity of an official classic server.....

• It's about preferences I guess. I've played both sin and glad pre transformations and after and the classes got 100x more fun with max atkspeed and lower cds/shorter durations.

For me, yeah it was a QoL improvement. As was for many, as I rmmber, everyone started playing gladi back in 6.0 cuz it was so damn fun. These 5min/10min cd limitations may add some strategy to arenas but are in no way more fun for the playability of classes, at least imo.

I'd argue about ur strategy point also as things like "qq u used 10min cd buff to win noob" or "qq i lost arena cuz i died and lost UD at start" is smting Ive heard way too many times.

Idk man, Aion 6.0+ class playability was sooo damn good for me, but everything else went downhill due to p2win forms and heck, even pve died out due to p2win cubes.

This game would still be blooming after 6.0 if content and "longterm goals" were done right

H8025vo.gif

• Alright, if simplifying the classes to be able to be played by 2 year old kids is what made the game more enjoyable for you, have it your way. The majority of pvp players disagree with that tho.

I hate stupid people.

• As was for many, as I rmmber, everyone started playing gladi back in 6.0 cuz it was so damn fun.

They rerolled gald because redzerk used to be pretty much wipe entire group button.

Same as with chanter back in 6.0 and painter at their release.

That aside, I do admit i somehow liked late 5.x and 6.x combat system as it felt kinda more smooth, fluent and nice but I did not liked the lack of balance between the classes and more and more one-shot-like skills.

In the end it's about preferences, I partially agree with Noctis that after playing 5.x +, the older patches feels somehow more slow/less attractive. I also agree that later on the game became too simplified and unbalanced.

unknown.png?width=1440&height=576

• Alright, if simplifying the classes to be able to be played by 2 year old kids is what made the game more enjoyable for you, have it your way.

When the few arguments are gone, only the flames are left, sad......

Wdym gone? its just plain simple truth, the 6.0 as a whole (not only class skills) is a simplification as an attempt to seduce a younger audience as an opposite to the veterans who appreciate the complexities of the game.

The classes have never even been nearly as braindead as they are since 6.0, and obviously, when you can't make a huge difference with skill, then only the difference with p2w/rng/class matchup is left.

Again, the majority of the players who would play on classic are not people who play on the current live version. Some do (like me), but it's a minority.

I hate stupid people.

• Will it be enough, though? Not trying to be negative here, I hope it works out; but "old players" are a decade older now, with other schedules and responsibilities, and maybe other games with more content.

I have doubts. It's worth the try, but this isn't WoW, splitting the playerbase for nostalgia purposes has real downsides.

I don't think there is a community left that could be split.
    There are not many more patches for the retail version to come.
    It will be rather a question about wanting to torture yourself by trying to complete the item-collector on the retail version or pass time on Aion Classic until evetually a small new patch arrives.

But yeah Aions time is almost over. But on a classic server there are at least a few hours of fun left for us.

• Again, the majority of the players who would play on classic are not people who play on the current live version. Some do (like me), but it's a minority.

Apart from that you have no proove for this "facts", if you are right, the classic server will be even sooner dead than I thought.

New players, which never heard from AION before, will not play classic server in first sight, they will download the official client and land at the current patch version.

Players who switched to p-servers and like it there will not play classic server for obvious reasons.

Players who quitted AION for longer times and are finished with AION at all and will not play classic server.

So all that is left for playing classic server are some people who shortly quitted because they don´t like the actual patch and some people who play the actual patch but don´t like it.

Let´s say the last 2 groups of people switch to classic server and let´s say, they are more than I think. Now you have to subtract the people who switched to classic server with false expectations. The feeling isn´t the same any more as they remember. The gameplay is much too slow as it is used to on actual patch. There are many bad things too in older patches and now they remember as they play classic. And so on.

What is left then? A handful of hardcore oldtimers that praise the older, better times. How long will they keep classic server alive before Gameforge decides that they do not enough profit with it and shut it down? Weeks? Months?

Good news is: classic server will not only kill itself, it will kill recent server too, so we all can make a big checkmark under AION and do something else. Let´s just think about all the time we save that we wasted in this forum before...... :D

• New players, which never heard from AION before, will not play classic server in first sight, they will download the official client and land at the current patch version.

Players who switched to p-servers and like it there will not play classic server for obvious reasons.

Players who quitted AION for longer times and are finished with AION at all and will not play classic server.

So all that is left for playing classic server are some people who shortly quitted because they don´t like the actual patch and some people who play the actual patch but don´t like it.

Are you open to the idea that you might be wrong? You seem to speak for all those players. Did you survey thousands of them or something?

If Classic doesn't work just move on, like you seem to be willing to do anyway.

• Are you open to the idea that you might be wrong? You seem to speak for all those players. Did you survey thousands of them or something?

No, I haven´t surveyed thousands of players. Have you? Or any other proof that my thoughts are wrong? So welcome to the boat we both sit in...........

• There are tons of reasons for people to switch back from p-servers to classic when it comes out (if the version suits them obviously): it's official, it feels way more authentic, you are more likely to meet more people but also friends that could come back for a while, there should be a way bigger playerbase overall, with everyone starting again at the same time, etc. And, let's imagine, if a small p-server sees its playerbase divided by two, then the rest will follow.

Now of course it might have less impact on other p-servers with a completely different version (let's say 4.6 hum), but still.

And this is also the only interesting way for GF to actually take back the playerbase that moved to those P-servers, because we perfectly know that they cannot kill every one of those servers with just a snap.

Now about the impact on Live servers. I strongly believe there is no such thing as "new players" anymore, so classic or not, the playerbase will eventually become smaller and smaller anyway, untill it just dies, it's unavoidable. Especially knowing that 7.9 (the only future version we know of) has only started to point its nose in Korea, with potentially a recycled Pangea of some sort, so NC is even slower and even more lazy "working" on Live content, so much that we might never get an 8.0.

I guess there are still people enjoying Live, but most of them must be already on the train with gear and content and P2W and etc. Everyone that is somewhat late in terms of progression will probably quit and try out classic, because there is no middle ground at all, you're either fully geared or you get destroyed without standing a chance.

If the trend is the same as it is in Korea, and we have reasons to believe it is, Classic will work, no doubt, but for how long? That we can't tell. And there are lots of key questions Gameforge needs to answer: like will they chose language based servers (which I think would be a major mistake, but it's only my opinion and I can totally understand people not willing or not able to speak with other communities that don't speak the same language).

Anyway, we know it's in the pipes, and it will probably happen, unless Classic Korea just fails and is deserted after a few weeks, which is still to be considered.

• Completely agree with that. And the best argument in favor of classic is the fact that the game will evolve through patches from 1.2 to 2.7 (and maybe more if the playerbase is still there when they reach 2.7), so more content unlike some 4.6 server forever stuck in time on a single patch.

As for language servers, they need to see how many German/french players really want one. Unless the demand for classic is really really big among those communities, having one fr and one ger server is a bad idea.

I hate stupid people.

• As for language servers, they need to see how many German/french players really want one. Unless the demand for classic is really really big among those communities, having one fr and one ger server is a bad idea.

Even if a lot of German and French want a classic version, it would be better to have only international servers.

Better have only international servers than empty servers with the language you speak.

Kayiane (Cleric) - Kwiick (Painter)
    Jupither (Cleric) - Kwaack (Painter)
    Urtem Ragna Elyos

Muleonis (Cleric) - Ajara (Painter)
    Urtem Ragna Asmo

• As for language servers, they need to see how many German/french players really want one. Unless the demand for classic is really really big among those communities, having one fr and one ger server is a bad idea.

Even if a lot of German and French want a classic version, it would be better to have only international servers.

Better have only international servers than empty servers with the language you speak.

That's the point, if the demand is big enough to fill a server to the brim, why not, otherwise better keep only international servers

I hate stupid people.

• There are tons of reasons for people to switch back from p-servers to classic when it comes out ........

That´s only your opinion. The people I know and heard of who switched to p-servers haven´t switched because of patch version reasons, they switched because they didn´t like Gameforges policies....... and as far as it is officially confirmed that only Gameforge will host a classic server in europe (what I said from begin while the dreamers still dreamed of NC-Soft Korea or NC-Soft NA hosting it in europe), all these players who switched to p-servers because of Gameforge have absolutely no reason to join a classic server hosted by gameforge.

And there are lots of key questions Gameforge needs to answer: like will they chose language based servers

Why should they? They served us already Korean only language package in current version and people had to accept it, so why bring different language packages when people will accept it anyways? So here is my next forecast for the classic server: it will be Korean language only........ :D

• That´s only your opinion. The people I know and heard of who switched to p-servers haven´t switched because of patch version reasons, they switched because they didn´t like Gameforges policies.......

Oh, so you're telling me that most people who switched on p-server only did because of Gameforge policies and not because of the game itself that just became worse over the years (= version), and that your sample of people "you know and heard of", is representative of a large portion of the playerbase ? Then why are there multiple p-server with different versions that open (and close) every year? And why are 99% of these servers opting for a version before 4.8 ? But yeah, nothing to do with the patch I guess.

Gameforge has the opportunity to do this thing right, by adopting a business model that could very well look exactly like what was the good old subscription model by NC. Who cares if it's called "Gold Pack", as long as they don't bring veteran rewards and [...] ? The GoldPack system was fine at the start, and people could afford it. Now we don't have a clue about what they will do, so we can't really say anything.

Now for the second point, unless you were kinda trolling, language based servers still exist (aka Odin & Ragna, even tho the content is mostly on cross serv anyway) and they have nothing to do with language packs and translation, even more when we speak about an old version of the game where everything was already done and translated in multiple languages.

What I meant is that if the demand is high enough, GF could again do German, French, Spanish and god knows what servers if they want to, because some players don't speak English and want to play only with people speaking their mothertongue.

But as Aura and Kayiane said, we believe it would be a major mistake, because it may work at the beginning, but when the hype fades away, these kind of servers will rapidly become empty and then Gameforge has to chose between keeping them on their own empty, or merging them with the others ; but we know it's always too late when they do that, and we end up with [International] servers anyway, except that those might be in bad health by then.

Whereas if we only get a few [International] servers right from the start, these problems simply don't exist, and people can still play with whoever they want within the server, if they want to do a French legion, so be it, nobody will have a problem with that.

Edit by Zapiel: Profanity.

Edited 3 times, last by Reykt ().

• They reason many left Aion and the facts are true is when NCsoft gave the game to GF to run it that's when things really started going downhill. GF had such a bad name at running games. I remember the NCsoft forums at the time when they told the player base GF would run EU and it was not nice.

And that is going to be a major issue with the classic server players just don't like how GF do things and they don't hear what the player base are saying.

• They reason many left Aion and the facts are true is when NCsoft gave the game to GF to run it that's when things really started going downhill. GF had such a bad name at running games. I remember the NCsoft forums at the time when they told the player base GF would run EU and it was not nice.

And that is going to be a major issue with the classic server players just don't like how GF do things and they don't hear what the player base are saying.

The facts are that only Gameforge currently has the rights to publish the "Aion" game product as we know it, and Classic just being an older version of this product, the contract applies and therefore GF will run Classic in EU, or we won't have classic at all. Unless they change the contract, but I doubt NC wants to go this route, it will not benefit them.

I may be wrong, but Aion servers under Gameforge were in a really good state during 3.X and 4.X, and the game only started to see actual p2w elements with serums being in the shop and so on, and that was not GF's fault, but NC's at first, for bringing them into the game and into their shop. Yet this kind of items were not cheap and it did not destroy the game instantly. So I completely disagree with people saying that Gameforge's managing of the game was a disaster during those times. The Gold Pack system was a good idea at the start and allowed a lot of people to actually play the game for free.

If, as a player, I really want to try out Classic, I'm not going to cancel the download of the game because I just saw the Gameforge logo. It would be completely stupid, or it would mean I did not actually want to play it.

Edited once, last by Reykt ().

• The facts are that only Gameforge currently has the rights to publish the "Aion" game product as we know it, and Classic just being an older version of this product, the contract applies and therefore GF will run Classic in EU, or we won't have classic at all. Unless they change the contract, but I doubt NC wants to go this route, it will not benefit them.

I may be wrong, but Aion servers under Gameforge were in a really good state during 3.X and 4.X, and the game only started to see actual p2w elements with serums being in the shop and so on, and that was not GF's fault, but NC's at first, for bringing them into the game and into their shop. Yet this kind of items were not cheap and it did not destroy the game instantly. So I completely disagree with people saying that Gameforge's managing of the game was a disaster during those times. The Gold Pack system was a good idea at the start and allowed a lot of people to actually play the game for free.

If, as a player, I really want to try out Classic, I'm not going to cancel the download of the game because I just saw the Gameforge logo. It would be completely stupid, or it would mean I did not actually want to play it.

Yes but gf is not innocent either they are as much responsible as ncsoft for the loss of the players on the game.

For example i remember at start of 6.x people complaining about the difficult of get the kinah and what does gf do "nerf kinah".

EjjnsJ3U8AAzyv8?format=jpg&name=4096x4096