Seems Aion's monetization system hasn't changed, which is unfortunate, because it's very bad.

• Generally speaking companies only care about profit, and I get that, Gameforge does what they do best, make money. Aion isn't their IP. If having p2w events which allow people with money to gain an insane advantage over free players instantly means they'll make profit, they will do that.

Unfortunately they missed basic MMO 101. And it's too late to recover, they have this model, they stick to it. They don't realize that they control what has value in this game.

Let me ask this, what if instead of "events" where you pay for power, you had those items as a reward for actually playing the game? Be it end game PvP or PvE instances, be it grind mobs, or even in some RNG fair systems. And what if cash shop only had skins?
    What if events had only emotes, motions, skins, items that Gameforge devalued like Dragon weapon series?

People would still buy Aion Coins to get them. As they do now to get Legendary Transformations, Enchanting Stones, Skill Books and so on. Because when you offer something that's exclusive, it doesn't matter if it helps improve your character, people will want it. Skins in Aion were a big thing that was never capitalized on, they could have done so very easily.

Let me ask this, if for a game like Wow, 15$/month is enough for that company to work and function, while also keeping the game pure, with zero micro-transactions, with no pay power, no advantages. Then why isn't 10$ that a gold pack costs(It's a bit less I know, still) is not enough for Aion?

Not only was it not enough, they made this veteran system and added in it pay power items, so what did people do? They paid for years of "game time". But guess what? If they had added skins, motions as final rewards and maybe consumables/basic necessities for each "step"(like it used to be back in the day) people would still have bought gold packs to get those.

See my point? I know of course to make these changes is a hard thing and that most of these bad changes are because of Korea.
    But I can't help think that if Aion had gone in a different route they'd be in a different place today.

Just watching people today use their Shugo Tokens I couldn't help but feel bad for them. I think even people who pay aren't getting respected by Gameforge, not just people who want a fair game(which let's be real, most of those left the game) and not just people who can't afford to pay because they don't live in Germany or Norway to pay 250-300 euro for a 5% chance of getting a Legendary Contract.

If you enjoy the game, good on you, I'm not here to hate, just here to share my dissatisfaction.
    The only salvation might be with a new monetization system with maybe "Classic" servers. I can't see any other solution. I like Aion, but every time I think of going back I think of all the negatives and I'm sorry, there's too many of them to even touch this game. Not after playing actually fair games where skill mattered, where dedication mattered, your time mattered, your effort being rewarded.

Oh well, rant off. Enjoy this wall of text.

with zero micro-transactions

there's nothing "micro" about EU Aion's shop

Imo GF has the worst implementation of the shop of all the Aion regions. Even the gold sand shop.. look at xform scrolls, 2-3x more expensive than other region. They kinda keep the same "settings" from Korea, which doesn't work here cause shop and everything else is different.

All necessary items for an enjoyable game are out of reach, enchants for gear and stigmas, skills etc. Korea i.e (or RU) has cheap prices, then people gear up properly, get to enjoy the content, next patch arrives and repeat. So let's see:

KR etc: easy to gear up, soon after gear is obsolete, np cause it didn't cost a fortune. They play the game.

EU: reaching endgame for the current patch feels like a lifetime milestone, you never get half way there and it's already obsolete. We don't play the game, we farm.

Idk if GF thinks reaching end-game gear should be a long/expensive task cause you get there and you are done with the game.. on the contrary, you get there and 3 months later it's already obsolete and you never managed to enjoy the patch fully.

What if a loaf of bread irl was 20 euro? a few rich people would buy it, the seller would make big profits per unit, but not sell so many. This is how EU Aion runs, idk how they can't see if prices were not so fantasy-world-ridiculous they would actually make more money.

• I'm sure gf know more than players about what's more profitable for them. After all they do see if getting player friendly events like idk meteorite event was generating more profit than rng heavy shugo game. And looking at latest events I assume meteorite event wasn't that nice for gf

What if a loaf of bread irl was 20 euro? a few rich people would buy it, the seller would make big profits per unit, but not sell so many. This is how EU Aion runs, idk how they can't see if prices were not so fantasy-world-ridiculous they would actually make more money.

In such scenario you prolly right. But what if instead of paying 20euro for that you would be paying for rng box which contain nothing, trash, nothing or bread as a reward? If it was only way for whales to get it they would get it anyway and generate more money than everyone-friendly shop.

unknown.png?width=1440&height=576

• Even the gold sand shop.. look at xform scrolls, 2-3x more expensive than other region.

I don't mind the Gold Sand Shop pricing, at the same time the limit on Gold Bars seems stupid to me, skins could be changed at least monthly (per patch with bare minimum).

KR etc: easy to gear up, soon after gear is obsolete, np cause it didn't cost a fortune. They play the game.

EU: reaching endgame for the current patch feels like a lifetime milestone, you never get half way there and it's already obsolete. We don't play the game, we farm.

The AION shop pricing is... OKish. Just imagine everyone running around with full Ultimate +15, fully manastone socketed, sigmas +12, Daevonion skills +15. That wouldn't be fun for someone who cannot afford to buy all that. This way not everyone can put money into the game and P2W with €/$50 and be done and secured for patch. Would it be more profitable for them? YES, but I like that we don't have KR pricing.

That said I would love to see skins only in shop but well, we know that won't happen.

• i think if u could make everything max with just 50euro even the poorest people would save to invest 50euro...and do that tbh.....but this will never happen

• i think if u could make everything max with just 50euro even the poorest people would save to invest 50euro...and do that tbh.....but this will never happen

it would be stupid system anyway. This way it's perfect you cannot do that

• Let me ask this, if for a game like Wow, 15$/month is enough for that company to work and function, while also keeping the game pure, with zero micro-transactions, with no pay power, no advantages. Then why isn't 10$ that a gold pack costs(It's a bit less I know, still) is not enough for Aion?

Becuase WoW has hundred of thousand if not millions of players and Aion EU few thousand? What question is that even? xD

We had subscription allready in Aion and it failed. "These bad monetization practics" for <5% of the playerbase is what makes this game alive for 7+ years. Dont be a kid that believes money grows on trees.

• 12 euro for a lege stone is OK? ...

So you are saying you prefer only a few people have max gear, creating an insane imbalance of power against other players, and only those are able to enjoy the game and all its content?

If everyone could max their char easily, what's the problem? we could play and enjoy the game then, and few months later start over cause new gear etc arrives and we wouldn't feel like our efforts put into the previous patch were for nothing.

• If it goes your way, more people who pay would be a lot stronger. The imbalance between people who pay and don't pay would grow. People who choose not to pay but just play the game would get destroyed in-game. Those people will decide to quit lowering the population. With your way playing a game that is advertised as f2p would be even more impossible if u want to compete. It's better to have a few strong whales than to have everyone who pays to be strong.

• Old good "p2w is ok when its affordable for me" xD Its better to have one whale than 20 because the majority of the playerbase wont drop few hundreds of euros every patch to "have fun and play the game".

• I would say delete it completely. But otherwise yes. As Zergie explained. You will never have everyone able to buy, so you would have even faster and bigger gab between ppl willing to pay and those who don't.

• Better to have high prices in shop so the mass can not (and should not have to) rely on shop, and thus, prevent making the game a pay to play. Oherwise all players would have to pay to get the equipment level that would become the gaming standard, or get denied in LFG or anything else.

It's the IG items supplies that need to be corrected, not the shop.

But surely, GF is missing a lot of money for skins/motions that many in this forum wishes and is ready to pay for them.

• Better to have high prices in shop so the mass can not (and should not have to) rely on shop, and thus, prevent making the game a pay to play. Oherwise all players would have to pay to get the equipment level that would become the gaming standard, or get denied in LFG or anything else.

It's the IG items supplies that need to be corrected, not the shop.

But surely, GF is missing a lot of money for skins/motions that many in this forum wishes and is ready to pay for them.

That defeated the point of the shop isn't it ?

Shop existed to make money if everything too expensive ? Why there's even a shop ? :/

• You dont have to worry, aion is still up in Europe after so many years it do generate enough money for gf

unknown.png?width=1440&height=576

• Huh? The Aion Shop lately has been designed to be actively aggressive towards p2w and whale entities.

This means it's made to be so expensive and low rewarding on purpose, so whales would need to brute-force what they want and as such pay a lot of money for small gains which they would have gained in-game over time anyway together with the rest.

• I agree with your opinion Rym

However, since their shop is based on rng model, you can always get lucky before spending tons of money (unlikely). ^^

• If it goes your way, more people who pay would be a lot stronger. The imbalance between people who pay and don't pay would grow. People who choose not to pay but just play the game would get destroyed in-game. Those people will decide to quit lowering the population. With your way playing a game that is advertised as f2p would be even more impossible if u want to compete. It's better to have a few strong whales than to have everyone who pays to be strong.

So according to what you are saying, Korean population should be.. empty

• KR etc: easy to gear up, soon after gear is obsolete, np cause it didn't cost a fortune. They play the game.

The classic "kr dream" xDD

Just to let you know, having a full geared character in korea costs more than 5000€

So yeah, 'it didnt cost a fortune'.

The game is a pure p2w, your korean fantasy doesnt exist, there is plenty of videos on yt from korean players explaining why the game is dying and how much it costs to keep up with top geared players.

I hate stupid people.