Raizel's Literature Club

• Hello folks! :)

Since I'm quite burned out by MMORPGs and since my circle of friends is slowly crumbling away due to bad and antisocial game design and childish behaviour, I though that I may should read some good books/novels again. I'm mostly into fantasy-stuff - especially urban fantasy. My favorite authors include Neil Gaiman, Jim Butcher, Ben Aaronovitch, Benedict Jacka, Kevin Hearne and Jim C. Hines. I also like other stuff though like Alan Bradley's Flavia-de-Luce-novels about a little girl turned detective with a passion about chemistry. Currently I'm finally reading the Witcher novels by Andrzej Sapkowski to get some more insight into Geralt's life after being quite addicted to CD Projekt Red's Witcher trilogy. I'm also quite open-minded towards other genres though.

I hope there are also other people that would like to talk about literature. So if you are: Please discuss. Which novels do you love, which do you loathe? Which can you recommend?

PS: Here's my discussion-thread about videogames if that is more to your liking!

• I really like various fantasy books - medieval, sci-fi, mercenary, assassins genres.
    Some of my favourites are:
    Sheepfarmer's Daughter by Elizabeth Moon and The Black Company by Glen Cook(medieval mercenary fantasy)

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson (medieval fantasy)

Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold (weak, but really intelligent protagonist) and The Stainless Steel Rat by Harry Harrison (sci-fi)

From urban fantasy books I think you would like Spider's Bite by Jennifer Estep (protagonist is female assassin in urban setting with some detective story elements).

I like when books engage you with interesting plot and action right from the start, but also when character build up takes time, sometimes even 1 or more books. Then I really care when they get in big trouble or even die.

I also would like some recommendations from genres above and maybe even niche like - different development level civilizations clash (for example, time travel/space travel from high tech worlds to middle-age tech, something like people with knowledge about guns vs people that know only swords/bows).

Player base - we want less RNG and more rewarding gameplay

Developers - we value your feedback and want to provide you with sense of pride and accomplishment by bringing .... RNG

• Mhhh...

It's not really about different civilizations, but there's quite a huge time-gap between each part of Orson Scott Cards Enders Game series. The first part is somewhat of a typical SciFi-action-title, but the genre shifts quite heavily with part 2. Sadly, parts 3 and 4 were rather meh, but maybe you'll still like it nonetheless.

Do you also like urban fantasy? Maybe you'd like Jim Butchers The Dresden Files series which is about a detective-wizard solving supernatural cases. Ben Aaronovitchs Rivers of London series is also quite decent. It's about an actual cop/wizard-apprentice solving supernatural cases.

Have you read Andrzej Sapkowskis Witcher series? It's basically medieval fantasy and everybody just has to love Geralt.

...and thanks for the recommendation. I'll look that up for sure. :saint:

• I practically grew up with witcher books ^^ So it was really awesome playing amazingly made games too

I read Ender's game, though only the first book. I will consider reading the whole series, thanks for suggestion. As for urban fantasy, I don't go directly looking for these books, but If it happens to have some elements that I like (as previously mentioned assassins/mercenaries/etc) I read it :)

The best feeling is when you complete very interesting trilogy of books and then google that there are 7 more books of the same series 8)

Developers - we value your feedback and want to provide you with sense of pride and accomplishment by bringing .... RNG

• I practically grew up with witcher books ^^ So it was really awesome playing amazingly made games too

I read Ender's game, though only the first book. I will consider reading the whole series, thanks for suggestion. As for urban fantasy, I don't go directly looking for these books, but If it happens to have some elements that I like (as previously mentioned assassins/mercenaries/etc) I read it :)

The best feeling is when you complete very interesting trilogy of books and then google that there are 7 more books of the same series 8)

Haha, I know that feeling. When I picked up Butchers Dresden Files, I also thought "Yay!", then I saw how many entries the series had (now 15 main entries plus several short story collections) and thought "Well... You're occupied for a while", which also was kinda wrong when you devour a good book in a few days. :D

• Hey again, so nobody except two of us seems to use this thread, but no matter :)

I just read 4 books from amazing series you would like, check it out:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/71811.Moon_Called

• I just read 4 books from amazing series you would like, check it out:

I read the Alpha and Omega stories from Patricia Briggs, but for the Mercy Thompsen series, motivation was not enough for me

carried by Google translator

giphy.gif

Dönerboy kriegt nix...

Kingcat Döner +2... :tee:

Wer nicht in der Lage ist Links zu den Zitaten hinzuzufügen um ein flüssiges Gespräch zu ermöglichen ZITIERT MICH NICHT. Danke. Computer - Smilies / Smileys

• Hey again, so nobody except two of us seems to use this thread, but no matter :)

I just read 4 books from amazing series you would like, check it out:

Thanks for the recommendation. I've already heard a lot of good stuff about Patricia Briggs from one of my favorite authors, so I guess I'll take a look at that series. :)

• a book thread??? how could I miss this?!?

just now on the last book of Yasmin Galenorns Otherworld series, https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34203890-blood-bonds

Jennifer Estep Elemental Assassin series is gold https://www.goodreads.com/series/47271-elemental-assassin

also did you read Faith Hunters Jane Yellowrock? https://www.goodreads.com/series/161451-jane-yellowrock

Lindsay Burokers Emperors Edge https://www.goodreads.com/series/66385-the-emperor-s-edge is more Steampunk like

And Naomi Noviks Temeraire is alternate reality about Napoleon wars https://www.goodreads.com/series/43272-temeraire

just a few I really need to update my goodreads books

Community Guidelines

For balic atreia

Brigade General Sita of the 40th Army: What do you think about that? Isn't it exciting?

A7vX57Y.gif

• Sad that this thread is kinda dead. :c

Can't recommend any novel currently, but I can definitely recommend the TV-adaptation of Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman's Good Omens. If you like british humor, it's basically a must watch. Besides: The main-protagonists are David Tennant and Michael Sheen. :love:

• Haven't read the book but watched the show. The big story (the theme) is alright, nothing unheard of, but the acting and the dialogs are brilliant, so I really enjoy it from start to end.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

• ah I just got started with good omens last week

have to continue, but first there are a couple of books I have to read (new Nalini Singh Psy Changeling) and afaik there are some more new out on Kindle unlimited

while I prefer the real book, I just don't have the space for it

Community Guidelines

For balic atreia

Brigade General Sita of the 40th Army: What do you think about that? Isn't it exciting?

A7vX57Y.gif

• new Nalini Singh Psy Changeling

:love::love::love::love:

I love this series! Just like the guild hunters (so in English?) Unfortunately, I am no longer up-to-date with both. But I'm more likely to sell than to buy, I'm reluctant to get new ones. The shelves are just too full

Sad that this thread is kinda dead. :c

Sad that you opened this thread in the wrong board :chair:

giphy.gif

Dönerboy kriegt nix...

Wer nicht in der Lage ist Links zu den Zitaten hinzuzufügen um ein flüssiges Gespräch zu ermöglichen ZITIERT MICH NICHT. Danke. Computer - Smilies / Smileys

• new Nalini Singh Psy Changeling

:love::love::love::love:

I love this series! Just like the guild hunters (so in English?) Unfortunately, I am no longer up-to-date with both. But I'm more likely to sell than to buy, I'm reluctant to get new ones. The shelves are just too full

Guild Hunters is also awesome

Are you familiar with the black dagger brotherhood?

Exactly that was the reason why I switched to Kindle... close to 700 books on kindle, around 200 still in paper, some in paper in english and german, kindle mostly in English

Community Guidelines

For balic atreia

A7vX57Y.gif

• Are you familiar with the black dagger brotherhood?

Some years ago I heard some of these as an audiobook and I also have a few books here. But I'm not up to date either. :blush:

Do you know the books of Jeaniene Frost? (Night Huntress or. Night Prince series)

Exactly that was the reason why I switched to Kindle... close to 700 books on kindle, around 200 still in paper, some in paper in english and german, kindle mostly in English

I bought a Kindle about 6 years ago. It works wonderfully even today. But most of the time it's still cheaper to buy used books than ebooks, so on the Kindle I only read the books I already have. However, I'm currently buying a Tolino to read the ebooks of the onleihe on an ebook Reader.

giphy.gif

Dönerboy kriegt nix...

• I can strongly recommend Kindle unlimited - you pay roughly 10€ per month and a tons of books are included

check if most of yours are there, then it might be an option

some I still have to buy, but most of the time I am good with unlimited

Community Guidelines

For balic atreia

A7vX57Y.gif

• I used a similar service from amazon in the past, it did not really suit me, so I was not too fond of kindle unlimited so far. I'll look at it again later, thanks for the tip.

giphy.gif

Dönerboy kriegt nix...

• Sad that you opened this thread in the wrong board :chair:

Well, I usually read everything in english if it isn't from a german author. So I thought that the english forum would be more suited. :c

not for me ;(;(;(;(

giphy.gif

Dönerboy kriegt nix...