Atreia faction balance: too many asmos

• When you open new accounts for Atreia tomorrow you should lock it to allow only for Elyos chars, the faction balance at the moment is like 2:1 for asmos.

• What I will express here, will by only my personal opinion and not any official statement.

The ration 2:1, if it were true, would constitute the first time in all of Aion's history to have a server with such an imbalance towards Asmodians. Hence, I find this to be a very wild claim, especially since no further information to support the claim is provided. In the past, Asmodian majorities were rare and only very small. To my knowledge, investigations by both developer and publisher have shown that the biggest reasons for choosing a faction are:

1. Faction of your friends
    2. Aesthetics

Unless tendencies in the general populations have shifted dramatically, most people are probably still going to prefer the aesthetics of Elyos, as they have been for over a decade.

By locking one faction, you prevent people from picking their prefered aesthetics and you might prevent them from playing with their friends. Therefore, such a lock should provide a good of at least equal worth to this player freedom.

LFG and Group Finding:
    Although I haven't kept records, I believe the LFG section for both factions are lively. There are people searching for groups to do campaign or leveling instances. There are always people searching for all LV 50 instances, Dredgions, as well as PvP on various maps.

Rifting and Open World:
    It might appear as if the enemy faction had a huge majority if numerous groups of them find their way onto maps of the enemy faction. To my knowledge, this is an issue for both factions. From an Asmodian point of view, you virtually never have 10 minutes of peace in the sky above Beluslan Fortress because rifting players can be found there around the clock. You may push them away once, but they or perhaps others typically return within 10 to 15 minutes. The areas for gathering aether are heavily ganked and I also died dozens of times while leveling my second character to Elyos who had no qualms attacking me on sight.

The issue here is, that a 1:1 ration would not prevent these events. The number of players on opposite faction maps are limited by the number of rifts. Therefore, the frequency of Rift spawns is something to look at.

As far as movements in the Abyss are concerned, there are again heavily ganked places by both factions such as the entrance to the core. It is also not rare for me to teleport to an upper Abyss Fortress, only to find groups of Elyos farming the fortress guards inside and me having to flee imediately. I am not under any impression, that the Asmodians are serverely dominant in the Abyss suppressing Elyos movements.

Sieges:
    The Asmodians on Atreia have won more often than they lost at sieges lately. As a player, who fought in all of these sieges, I must say that none of them were a crushing victory. There was a decent amount of back and forth. Furthermore, there are no incentives to defend a fortress. No instance access is locked behind fortress ownership either. Historically speaking, even in times when there was a clear confirmation of a large Elyos majority, there would sometimes be a month or two of Asmodian victories. If we were to consider the speed at which both factions kill the Fortress Guardian (Dux) of the enemy at the beginning of KKM-sieges, then the Elyos typically finish (slightly) faster, which would rather indicate them having (slightly) more people than the Asmodians.

In summary, I question the claim of servere imbalance in favour of the Asmodians as well as how effective a faction lock would solve any of the issues above, if they are any to you to begin with.

• The ration 2:1, if it were true, would constitute the first time in all of Aion's

Yeah that's a wild exaggeration (assumed it's taken that way), but it does feel like that. Indratu area is perma camped with asmos, KKM/Divine dominated by asmos, shugo artifact for DP at the core camped by asmos everytime I go, so idk. It would be nice to see some actual numbers directly from GF.

• This has nothing to do with numbers. Elyos are still more than asmos. Even in sieges. We just have no leadership and we do not set a faction goal of doing good in sieges. Every major legion just looks after its own interest and even within legions people dont join alliances for sieges but rather go alone or in small groups because of more rewards.

As for camping, obviously Heiron will be camped more - mobs in belu are elite and can't be farmed as effectively as on heiron. If this gets fixed you will see way less asmos near DC entrance/farm spot.

Core is normal to be camped more by asmos as well. They have a giant ass fort they can retreat to so its easier to pvp for them. And lots of high rank elyos go there to farm guards so its a field day for asmos. Even with that being said I often see elyos dominating core pvp/dp entrance as well..

• gJ24LMq.png

wqN1NtQ.png

Oh, 5 asmos and a spirit near an Asmo fort. That's not balanced!

Jokes aside, these screenshots mean nothing. I don't have numbers, but I believe Elyos outnumber Asmos; and if not, the gap is not that noticeable. It's just that Asmos play better during sieges.

• From my point of view it´s logical that there are more asmos in classic. I played asmo on retail for 12 years and made an elyos on classic to see different things than the last 12 years. If enough elyos think the same and if you mention the fact that there were always much more elyos on retail it´s logical that there are more asmos when enough elyos switched like I did. It´s not only on Atreia, on Tahabata it´s the same.

But the real joke on raids in classic is, that obviously non of the factions read the patchnotes or just don´t care. If someone read the patchnotes there wouldn´t be hardcoe tryhard deffs of the keeps like both factions do what is not very smart because 1. you just get a raid reward (AP + medals) if other faction gets the keep and not if it stays yours or balaur get it and 2. you can´t get it back the next week to earn a raid reward. Not very smart to hardcore deff keeps, but both factions seem not to be very smart in that point........

• The ration 2:1, if it were true, would constitute the first time in all of Aion's

Yeah that's a wild exaggeration (assumed it's taken that way), but it does feel like that. Indratu area is perma camped with asmos, KKM/Divine dominated by asmos, shugo artifact for DP at the core camped by asmos everytime I go, so idk. It would be nice to see some actual numbers directly from GF.

That's typical one who joins elys thinking it will be 4 ely :1 asmo, so easy pve etc for you.

Asking to lock one faction can ask someone without any self honor. Eventho situation was like that, you would fight like any decent player.

You are speaking nonsence, real situation is that there are more elies on server and thats good for us asmos. More players to pvp with.

"Daddy daddy, he hit me with the ball!.."

Edited 2 times, last by bjutic ().

• When you open new accounts for Atreia tomorrow you should lock it to allow only for Elyos chars, the faction balance at the moment is like 2:1 for asmos.

The balaur statue in belu, hoarfrost and dc entrance are camped by elyos almost all day long.

The top contributing legion of asmos has the same contribution as the 4rth of elyos (while elyos first contributing legion has more than double).

The only reason you see asmos in indratu is because asmos dont have a worthy alternative to farm balaur scales to enter dp.

The fortresses in abyss change hands every siege because its not worth it to keep them.

So what are you talking about?

• From my point of view it´s logical that there are more asmos in classic. I played asmo on retail for 12 years and made an elyos on classic to see different things than the last 12 years. If enough elyos think the same and if you mention the fact that there were always much more elyos on retail it´s logical that there are more asmos when enough elyos switched like I did. It´s not only on Atreia, on Tahabata it´s the same.

(...)

The desire to experience the game from the other faction's side has always been a motivation for some people to switch - from Elyos to Asmodian as well as the other way around. The effect on the overall population balance is easily overestimated.

Let us look at the following hypothetical scenario:

• In the past, we had 2000 Elyos and 1000 Asmodians. In other words, we had significantly more Elyos than Asmodians.
    • Of these people, 50% want to experience the game from the other side - making this a major motivation for people in their faction choice.

This leaves us with 2000 (Original Elyos) - 1000 (Leaving Elyos) + 500 (Joining Asmodians) = 1500 (new Elyos). As for Asmodians on the new server, we'd get 1500 as well.

A reversal of the Elyos to Asmodian ratio would only be achievable, if a very large percentage of players - likely 80% and more - would switch to the opposite faction, thereby making the reason "Wanting to experience the game as the other faction" the most dominant reason of all by far. This is hightly questionable. As far as I can tell, many people from the past are playing as the same faction again and I regularly hear reasons such as: "I don't like the claws/hair/etc. of the Asmodians. They look ugly. If it weren't for them, I would've played one." Hence, aesthetics remain among the strongest reasons for player choice when it comes to this.

• As I like to work with data, i allowed myself to get the data from myaion pve rankings to see if there's any major race differences on atreia and the results are the following:

Boss Elyos Asmo
    Commander Bakarma 3008 3025
    Flame Lord Calindi* 2200 1709
    Tanabata Pyrelord* 606 436
    Unstable Triroan / Lord Lannok 4544 4011

While it's not the most accurate source for estimating the amount of players, I'm quite sure that if the difference between ely and asmo was balance breaking it would be more noticable in the data sample

*elyos got it easier to farm scales for DP afaik

• still makes it technically easier for elyos. rifts are limited and timed. but asmodians on the other hand were never bothered by having earlier access to balaurs in beluslan and reshanta before.

i think both factions are balanced enough. usually you notice the enemy rifters more because they annoy you and are a big red dots on the map. when i go rift in beluslan there are also elyos everywhere. gameforge should stick to their patchnotes and allow those rift free days for leveling/gathering players.